I have an AOS initial interview on March 8th. My i-94 expires Feb-8-13. My K-1 visa expires April 10-13. Is there a problem?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have an AOS initial interview on March 8th. My i-94 expires Feb-8-13. My K-1 visa expires April 10-13. Will I have an issue with my I-94 expiring prior to the initial AOS interview?

1. Michael Hugh Carlin

6

1

Best Answer

Answered . Based on the information you provided, you submitted your I-485 application for adjustment of status before your I-94 expired. When you submit a properly completed I-485 prior to the expiration of your authorized stay in the United States, then while you are waiting for USCIS to make a decision on your I-485 application, you do not accumulate unlawful presence in the United States, even after the expiration of your I-94. So, the fact that your I-94 expired before your I-485 interview will not cause you problems. Good luck with the interview.

You should consider consulting with an experienced immigration attorney before the interview, in order to have the best chance of success.

2. Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost

Pro

5

1

Answered . You should be fine as long as you married your fiancee. FYI, the I-94 expiration date is controlling once you are in the U.S. You need the visa only for purposes of applying for admission at the port of entry. Fiancees are given only 90 days within which to marry, hence, the brief validity of the I-94.

3. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

4

1

Answered . No problems.

4. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

3

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

5. Theodore Su-Tsoh Huang

1

1

Answered . Talk to an immigration attorney to go over what the interview will be like, what to expect, and the types of questions the officer may ask you. The interview can be stressful so get there early to deal with traffic and parking. If your interview is in downtown LA, you can also take the rail into Union Station and walk to the CIS to avoid driving. Best wishes.