I have an addresses in two different states, which am I a resident of when filing taxes?

Asked about 2 years ago - Spokane, WA

I became unemployed fall of 2012, and I moved in with a family member and changed my license and address to that "home" address/state, as well as my vehicle registration and insurance and some bills. I still am occasionally visiting "home" and have full intentions of permenantly returning some day, just uncertain when exactly.
I have been staying here in WA with another relative for a couple months now, and I use this address for billing and forwarded correspondence, and have recieved state benefits, and as of end of FEB. 2013 I will begin working part time here.
Do I HAVE to change my residency again?? Or can I remain a "visitor" with work privelages??
I know I have to pay taxes regardless but which state do I claim it in?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Brian Joseph Munson

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I think you can use your original home state, since you have intentions of returning. One of the tests is a permanent move without intention of returning.

    This answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship, Moreover, this attorney is Licensed to practiced... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,056 answers this week

3,460 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,056 answers this week

3,460 attorneys answering