Skip to main content

I have accumulated a lot of credit card debt. Can my spousal/child support be lowered?

Temecula, CA |

The amount of spousal/child support I pay every month has made things very difficult for me. I can barely afford my rent, car payments, insurance, gas to even pick up the kids and now even food. I have been living off of credit cards. If I provide all of my credit debt can my spousal/child support be lowered? I see the kids every other weekend and they live 3 hours away from where I live. I pick them up at ex house she picks them up at my house on Sundays. Ex refuses to work and due to the kids schooling I can't have more time with them then I would like. Any advice

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Probably not. Child support is based on income, not expenses such as credit card debt. You may wish to consult local bankruptcy counsel if you are having financial difficulties. Good luck.

SINCE 1974. My answers are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers assume California law. I am licensed in California, only. Answers must not be relied upon.<br> <br> Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. <br> <br> I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us.<br> <br> The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential. I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo because I have answered or commented on a question. Specifically, I assume no duty to respond to any question, comment, telephone call, or email because of my participation.<br> <br> All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult an attorney licensed in the appropriate jurisdiction for advice and counsel. See, also, Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.<br>


Child support is based on income and possibly living expenses but not credit card debt and repayment. As said you might consult with a BK lawyer.


It may be possible to lower the support because you can't maintain yourself on the amount of support, not because you have credit card debt.
But the best strategy may be to ask the court to make an employment efforts order, and then, after a time, if she doesn't find work, to ask the court to impute income to her and lower the support.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer