I have a written offer to pay a bonus to me for completing a major project by the end of the year. My boss refuses to honor it.

Jacksonville, FL |

The bonus letter states that if I complete the project successfully by the end of the year he will pay a bonus. I successfully complete the project in October 2012, well before the end of the year and he refuses to pay the bonus. What options do I have and how should I proceed?

The remedy for breach of contract is a lawsuit. Se a lawyer experienced in business litigation to advise and represent you. If you cannot find one, I would be glad to assist with a referral.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Unless you are already a client of the Mallory Law Group, pursuant to an executed employment agreement, you should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. Earl K. Mallory (561)743-3708.

Sounds like a breach of contract.

No attorney-client relationship implied or accepted without a signed fee agreement. This response is theoretical only and for purposes of discussion. Attorney is not liable for any opinion expressed herein. The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon any single source of information, including advertising on any Web sites or answers to questions posed on You may ask us to send you additional information about us, and we urge you to review other sources of information about our primary practice areas.

Does your bonus letter specify how much you would be paid or how it would be calculated? What does "successfully" complete mean? Are there any qualitative or quantitative measurements for this condition? Are there any other conditions linked to the payment of the bonus? For example, a favorable performance evaluation or profitablility of the company as a whole? These are just a few of the questions to answer to determine 1) are there enough details in the offer letter to create a binding obligation and 2) have all conditions been met to obligate your boss to pay the bonus. A lawyer can help you evaluate all of this. In the end, either you must convince your boss that he is obligated to pay or you can consult with a lawyer about filing a lawsuit to try to collect the bonus in court.

Litigation topics

Recommended articles about Litigation