I have a website and blog with information on self-care, business, and parenting. Do I need a copyright?

Asked 4 months ago - Roselle, NJ

I notice a lot of entrepreneurs/bloggers have Copyright logos on their pages. Do I need to copyright my material and if so, am I copyrighting the material (including posts, guides, eBooks, and videos that haven't been created yet) or am I copyrighting my website or my name?

1. Daniel Nathan Ballard

7

1

Best Answer

Answered . Copyright automatically attaches to works of authorship [photographs, literary works, videos, etc.] once they're created. When published, it is a very good idea -- but not required -- to affix a proper copyright notice to the work. A website is a "compilation" work because it consists of many independantly-copyrightable works. A compilation work is protected by its own copyright -- the copyright attaching to the selection, arrangement and appearance of the compilation as a whole.

Long story short: You have a copyright already. You should attach a copyright notice and, for your website, REGISTER that copyright and re-register after major changes. As for all the other works of authorship will be creating, you really, really need to speak with an intellectual property attorney to assist you in clearing the rights to the content, affixing proper notices, installing digital rights management tools to prevent copying, drafting agreements for when you allow access to the works or distribute the works, and registering the copyrights in those works.

You should a read a book or two about copyright [visit the link below]. Good luck.

2. Michael Charles Doland

9

1

Answered . When you fix your creation in a medium then you have copyright; what you are probably referring to is copyright registration. Given the very minimal cost, it is worthwhile. You cannot, however, copyright that which has not been created or "published".

3. Robert Philip Cogan

8

1

Answered . Apparently you are unfamiliar with copyrights. There is excellent, understandable material at the United States Copyright Office website, www.copyright.gov.

4. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

4

1

Answered . By "copyright logos" you apparently mean copyright notice, Copyright notice is not mandatory, but is desirable to discourage copying and increase potential damages should you need to stop or sue an infringer. copyright registration is also not required, but confers a number of very valuable rights should you have to enforce your copyright. For your brand name, you will assert "trademark" rights or "servicemark" rights and that also should be "registered", although at a different Government office.

You should use an"intellectual property"lawyer to obtain these registrations, so that they are done properly and can be relied upon.