I have a warrant out in NC from 2010 for filing a false report. What are the statute of limitations in NC for this crime?

Asked over 1 year ago - Durham, NC

I had a drug addiction at the time, couldn't come up with rent money so I claimed I had been robbed. I was arrested for filing a false report in February of 2010 (3 years ago). I made bail and then never went to court afterward. I need to get a state ID, will the warrant come up at the D M V and get me arrested? I am 2 years clean and sober now. I would turn myself in but I have a 2 year old autistic child who needs my care 24/7 and I'm scared no one will touch my bail now that I jumped bail on another bondsman...

1. Michael Lawrence Doyle

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . I am unfamiliar with any states in which the Statute tuns while there is an active warrant. The statute usually runs from the time of the offense until either an arrest or a warrant is issued, whichever is sooner. They do not allow someone to be rewarded for avoiding capture. You should sit down with an attorney because you most likely need to arrange for a turn in date.

2. Damon John Chetson

1

Answered . There's no statute of limitations in NC for a felony, and a two year statute of limitations for misdemeanors. However, if process has already begun (through a warrant, summons, or criminal information, or indictment), then the statute of limitations is tolled for misdemeanors.

3. Robert C. Keller

Answered . So ce the charges are already filed, there is no statute of limitations issue in bringing the case. The issue is whether a deligent effort was made to find you and bring you to trial. You should consult with a local attorney to resolve this. Good luck.