I have a warrant on a domestic violence charge in tucson az. I moved to another city.. how long can this warrant stay open.

Tucson, AZ |
Filed under: Domestic violence

Got arrested in November of 2011. Went to court and i guess i missed a court date. Now i have a warrant and want to knw if it will go away after so many years. If i just leave it alone

Warrants do not just go away. You will need to retain an attorney to go to court and have the warrant recalled. You do not indicate if this is for a misdemeanor or a felony. If you were stopped for a traffic violation you could be taken into custody either way. You should take care of this sooner than later. Often times a judge will be more lenient when you come in on your own as oppose to waiting until law enforcement picks you up on the warrant.

Unless you have a prior domestic violence case, you may be eligible for a diversion program that would require that you attend domestic violence counseling and then the matter is expunged from your record.

If you continue to run, at some point, sooner or later, you will encounter law enforcement and will be arrested as a fugitive. You may not be offered diversion and will end up with a DV conviction that can effect employment and many other areas of your life.

I recommend that you immediately seek the advice of a domestic violence/criminal attorney and deal with this problem before it becomes worse.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "HELPFUL" or "THE BEST ANSWER," PLEASE MARK IT SO AS AVVO AWARDS THE ATTORNEY POINTS. All attorneys providing answers on this site are donating their time and not financially compensated.

Information provided on this site does not constitute legal advice. Answers posted here are based on a very limited amount of information and are given without a conventional consultation. Information posted here should be valued accordingly. We offer free initial consultations that require completion of a questionnaire detailing your situation and a personal one-on-one attorney interview to provide qualified legal advice. The answers posted here might be completely different with more information.

Warrants do not come with expiration dates. They remain active until you decide to address the situation.