I have a warrant in taxes for issuance of a bad check I missed court which by the way I didn't know I had . what should I do

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

1. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

1

Answered . Talk to a criminal defense attorney who practices in the county where the case is filed. There are at least a dozen different ways this could play out. With any luck, an attorney may be able to get the case dismissed upon repayment of the check without requiring your appearance at court. Obviously, you need to get it resolved ASAP because you could be picked up on the warrant at any time.

2. Jacqueline R. Kriebel

Pro

1

Answered . Get an attorney who can appear in court with you to remove the warrant. If it's a small amount, you can bring money with you to resolve the issue then and there and request a dismissal. If it's a large amount then your attorney can set the case for trial. It's rare the State can prove up a bad check in court. They need the person to identify that YOU were the one who signed and handed them the check, i.e., prove it's your signature and you signed it. Speak with a good criminal defense attorney to strategize how best to handle your situation.

3. Peyton Zimmerman Peebles III

Pro

Answered . You should first contact a criminal defense lawyer. The lawyer will either be able to verify the warrant (and any bond amount) or ask you to call a bonding company to do so. The goal is to get on the court's radar again without going into custody.

If you really do have an outstanding warrant for a bad check, then it will likely remain open until you are caught or until you take care of it otherwise. Experienced criminal defense lawyers in the jurisdiction where your warrant originated will be able to resolve your issue with the least amount of confinement (and quite possibly no confinement at all). Bad check cases are sometimes very difficult for the DA's office to prove. It's possible that the case could be thrown out entirely.

Feel free to call me or another experienced lawyer for help.