Skip to main content

I have a warrant for domestic violence in texas . Do I have to bond out or can i have an attorney try to get it dismissed first.

Fort Worth, TX |

My ex girlfriend filled charges that were false and did it 2 weeks after our argument. I dont want to waste money on a bond if an attorney can fight the warrant first. What can you suggest?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Once the case goes to warrant status, you have to take care of that warrant and fight the case in court after you arrange your bond. An attorney won't be able to get the case dismissed before you take care of the warrant by just going to the police or the prosecutor and telling them the allegations are false and tardily reported. Start calling bonding agents and shop for the best deal you can get on the bond, and meanwhile, find an attorney who does domestic violence cases in your jurisdiction.

    The information provided by this attorney is for general guidance only, and is not to be considered as advice specific to any particular person, legal matter, or case. For specific advice regarding any legal question or matter, you are encouraged to consult a qualified attorney in the appropriate jurisdiction. If you wish to consult with Mr. Little regarding your legal matter, you may contact him at (888) 404-0777.

  2. Prosecutors will not negotiate cases where the defendant is unapprehended. An attorney cannot do anything for you until you post the bond. Your attorney can't fight the warrant. He can only fight the charges.

    Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.

  3. You will need to post a bond and hire a lawyer. Prosecutors will not work on cases in which the client is "on the run" - out of custody and not on bond. There is no choice but to handle it in such a manner (or be in jail while the lawyer works the case.)

    Cynthia Henley

  4. You cannot have a case dismissed while it is a warrant. You will have to post a bond or turn yourself in. If the bond is extraordinarily high, you may have an attorney tray and reduce , but the court may require that you are in custody to have this matter considered.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics