I have a wage garnishment currently that has been filed by court, how can I find out from who?

Elizabeth, NJ |

The wage garnishment does not match any debt from my credit report, is there a way to find out more about this, or stop it?

What's the best way to repair my credit?

1. A wage garnishment will have come from a local court, so check the court records in your community. Most courts allow you to access their records and to search by your name.

In addition, your employer should have provided you with a copy of the wage garnishment which will have the court caption.

Hope this perspective helps!

2. You can search the court database using your docket number. Most likely this is a DC case filed in Special Civil. If you don't have the docket number, you can do a search using your name.

http://njcourts.judiciary.state.nj.us/web1/ACMSPA/

There are a few ways to help you here. if you have not been properly served with the Summons and Complaint, an attorney may be able to re-open the case and either get it dismissed or settled on favorable terms.

Another way would be to settle the case directly to avoid garnishments.

A third option would be to file bankruptcy and have all your debts discharged including this garnishment.

I am very familiar with Union County courts as my former office was in Elizabeth. If you would like a free consultation regarding these issues, do not hesitate to give me a call at 551-427-4428

This answer should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship, and is for informational purposes only, not legal advice.

3. Mr. Raevski gives some good advice. I would add that while bankruptcy is an option, if this is the only debt, it is more than likely not worth it. If you are interested in exploring the bankruptcyoption, please call for a free consult.

The previous information is solely for informational purposes only. If you have further questions, please contact an attorney in your area for more specific answers. Responding to your question in no way creates an attorney/client relationship, and none of the specific guarantees of privacy exist. If you have found this information helpful, kindly check the "helpful" box.

Sued for debt topics