I have a wage garnishment currently that has been filed by court, how can I find out from who?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Elizabeth, NJ

The wage garnishment does not match any debt from my credit report, is there a way to find out more about this, or stop it?

What's the best way to repair my credit?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Ivan Raevski


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . You can search the court database using your docket number. Most likely this is a DC case filed in Special Civil. If you don't have the docket number, you can do a search using your name.


    There are a few ways to help you here. if you have not been properly served with the Summons and Complaint, an attorney may be able to re-open the case and either get it dismissed or settled on favorable terms.

    Another way would be to settle the case directly to avoid garnishments.

    A third option would be to file bankruptcy and have all your debts discharged including this garnishment.

    I am very familiar with Union County courts as my former office was in Elizabeth. If you would like a free consultation regarding these issues, do not hesitate to give me a call at 551-427-4428

    This answer should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship, and is for informational purposes... more
  2. Stuart M Nachbar


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Mr. Raevski gives some good advice. I would add that while bankruptcy is an option, if this is the only debt, it is more than likely not worth it. If you are interested in exploring the bankruptcyoption, please call for a free consult.

    The previous information is solely for informational purposes only. If you have further questions, please contact... more
  3. Dorothy G Bunce


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . A wage garnishment will have come from a local court, so check the court records in your community. Most courts allow you to access their records and to search by your name.

    In addition, your employer should have provided you with a copy of the wage garnishment which will have the court caption.

    Hope this perspective helps!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,563 answers this week

3,199 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,563 answers this week

3,199 attorneys answering