Skip to main content

I have a unpaid pay day loan from almost 6 yrs ago made in az and now that i live in hawaii the debt collectors keep calling.

Honolulu, HI |

Just recently a debt collector starting calling my job for an unpaid pay day loan that was made 6 years ago in when I used to live in Arizona. I live in Hawaii now and I want to pay them back but I don't want to give my credit card info over the phone. I've asked them to send me a letter and they said they are not able to, the only type of payment would be over the phone. They also said if I dont call them back, they will send the DA and have me pay not $500 but $3000 for court fees and double the amount of my actual loan. What can I do about this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


This is a debt collection scam, pure and simple. First, they can't get the "DA" involved - owing a debt is not a criminal act. Assuming the SOL hasn't run on the debt (it depends on a few factors), they certainly can sue you, obtain a judgment, and try to collect. Other than that, there isn't anything else they can do. If you tell them you cannot be contacted at work, those calls should stop as well. Demand their address and send them, in writing, a letter demanding verification of the debt. If they won't do that, then they are in violation of federal collections laws.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.



Thank you that was very helpful. I actually already told them to stop calling my job and they keep calling. the only difference is its a different person but the same company.


Send them a debt verification letter as well as a cease and desist letter. This has a high likelihood as being a scam. Do not send them money.


If the debt is more than EXACTLY six years old, you owe them nothing. Your remedy then is the federal Fair Debt Collection Act, which bars harassing people over uncollectable debts. Under no circumstances should you pay this over the phone.
As for the criminal charges, it is illegal to threaten someone with criminal prosecution to collect a debt., collectable or not collectble That is already a FDCA violation, and there are statutory damages of $1,000 per violation, plus any actual damages. Contact me if you want to consider demanding money from them.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer