Skip to main content

I have a two part question regarding permanent residence, immigration status and effecting citizenship status..etc

White Plains, NY |

I have been a permanent resident for about 10 years. However my permanent residence card expired (About 7 months ago) Without my knowledge..However, to renew and the fees associated I am not able to afford at the moment..Should I have to worry about deportation, etc? If it says "permanent resident" on the green card, than why does it expire? Also..I was arrested over 5 years ago for driving with a suspended license (without my knowledge), and convicted as a misdemeanor. Around the year 2005. If I wanted to apply for citizenship, will it effect it in any way? Or it should be no issue since it has been years ago and I have not been arrested since..(No felonies or anything to that extent) Only car tickets, speeding etc..

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


1. It says permanent resident because your status does not depend on whether the card has expired. You life, does, however, as you will not be able to travel abroad with expired card, apply for a renewal of a driver license in NYS and some other important functions. While I understand that your traveling abroad is not important, after all, you cannot afford it anyway, the DL renewal may be.
2. To apply for citizenship you do not need to renew your card. You can just filed N-400 with expired card, whether it expired with or without your knowledge. However, if you file I-90 for renewal of the card, you will have to complete that process before you petition for naturalization.
3. Driving without license is a serious matter since it involves public safety. However, given the fact that this occurred more than five years ago and provides that you will not get into more trouble in the process, it should not be a disqualifier for your naturalization.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Your Lawful Permanent Residency status does not expire, only the plastic evidence of that LPR did, therefore, you are not subject of removal (previously known as deportation).
Your arrest and a Misdemeanor conviction of "driving with a suspended license" is not a Crime of Moral Turpitude and does not prevent you from seeking U.S. Citizenship by N400 Naturalization application process. Just obtain a Certified Disposition of this traffic matter with shown completion from that court and include that with your N400 package.
I suggest filing for your U.S. Citizenship as extending your LPR card would be a waste of your money.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


1. Permanent residence does not expire, only the card does.
2. probably will not affect you, but you will need the arrest report and court disposition.

The Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit has stated that "federal immigration laws are exceedingly complex"

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer