Skip to main content

I have a trust and the lawyer seems to be suspended as of 02/06/2013 and we can not reach him. What can we do?

Ann Arbor, MI |

My friend just died and he set up a trust that is funded by multiple insurance policies . We did not receive any power of attorney from the lawyer Michael R . Josey who when I goggled him it says he is suspended per the Avon . We have the death certificates but are having a hard time proceeding . When we call Mr . Josey number his voice mail is full and he is not calling us back .

Attorney Answers 4

  1. If you have copies of the relevant documents, contact another attorney. (I am not sure what you are referring to with the POA however)

    This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website:

  2. Contact another qualified estate planning attorney you find here on Avvo or elsewhere. Ken Gold

  3. You need a new lawyer. Try an avvo user such as James Frederick who is a top contributor and is in Livonia, that is not too far away from Ann Arbor. You may have to get the old file from the suspended attorney however, and your new lawyer can help with that.

    No legal representation exists by virtue of this answer. Consult your attorney. Licensed to practice law in Indiana and Illinois. Circular 230 Disclosure: any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any matters addressed herein.

  4. I agree with my colleagues. What you might do is to contact the bar to find out the details of Mr. Josey's suspension. It may also be published in the Bar Journal. I checked the State Bar site and they do not post the details, there.

    I would simply add that a Power of Attorney is probably not relevant in terms of dealing with trust assets. The trust itself should deal with what happens to those assets. A POA form terminates upon death.

    I am sorry for your loss and also for the frustration of trying to deal with this attorney. Best wishes for a successful resolution of this matter. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics