I have a teen that has been in juvenile system for over a year in and out , I wish to give up my parental rights how ?

Asked about 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

How do I do that, cuz he is soon to be released but declines to come home or to a family member, so he requested from the judge to be put into a group home so if granted I'm financially responsible form him until he is 18 and I want to give up that parental right.

1. David Alexander Yomtov

Pro

5

Answered . Your responsibility for your son's care is not a right, it is an obligation. You cannot walk away from this.

2. John Noah Kitta

Pro

4

Answered . There is no easy way to surrender your parental rights. If your child petitions the court to be emancipated and the child is over the age of 16 and convinces the court they are self supporting it is a possibility. Otherwise, the only way to t terminate parental right would be if someone else adopts the child. This is probably not the information you want to hear
    _____________

3. Alec Scott Rose

2

Answered . Unfortunately, you can't just give your child to the state. Speak to his probation officer and his public defender about your concerns that he will not obey your instructions. The court may choose not to release him from his placement until they believe he will behave, the court could impose additional restrictions, require counseling, or find other alternatives.

www.alecrose.com