Skip to main content

I have a suspended imposition of sentence. Is there anything I can ever do that can completely wipe my record?

Saint Louis, MO |

I have a suspended imposition of sentence for a DWI that I pled guilty to 3 years ago. I am also going into the field of nursing so I know that I have to report my suspended imposition of sentence and the fact that I pled guilty to the nursing licensure board and on job applications. From what I have read, the nursing state licensure board also requires you to report any criminal record to them and on job applications even after it is expunged. Is there ANYTHING at all that can be done at some point besides expungement so I don't ever have to report it again, or is this going to haunt me for the rest of my life?

Attorney Answers 2


Please review Section 577.054, RSMo. The best way is to google Missouri Revised Statutes. You can then go down to Chapter 577. You may be eligible for an expungement after seven more years. I am not an employment attorney; however, please pay close attention to the following language, " No person as to whom such order has been entered shall be held thereafter under any provision of any law to be guilty of perjury or otherwise giving a false statement by reason of his or her failure to recite or acknowledge such arrest, plea, trial, conviction or expungement in response to any inquiry made of him or her for any purpose whatsoever and no such inquiry shall be made for information relating to an expungement under this section. "

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 comment

Matthew David Fry

Matthew David Fry


Section 577.054 applies to first time DWIs that ended in a finding of guilt. It does not matter if you received an SIS or an SES. See Section 577.054 (“After a period of not less than ten years, an individual who has pleaded guilty or has been convicted for a first alcohol-related driving offense...."


If you are asked "have you ever pleaded guilty" to anything, then the honest answer is yes.

If you successfully completed the probation period without any violations, then you have no conviction on your criminal record for this DWI, and therefore no conviction to be expunged.

You can't expunge a suspended imposition of sentence.

Expungement of an arrest record is only possible in situations where you were arrested based on false information and you weren't charged with anything, so unfortunately this does not apply in your case.

The answers submitted on AVVO by The Rogers Law Firm, LLC d/b/a are for informational purposes only, do not constitute legal advice, are not intended to be advertising, and are not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up-to-date. The transmission of information on AVVO is not intended to establish, and receipt of such information does not establish or constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The reader should not act on the answers without first consulting legal counsel.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics