I have a summons for animal abuse misdemeanor for pepper spraying an off leash dog. Do I need a lawyer.

Asked 11 months ago - Chicago, IL

I pepper sprayed a large off-leash dog that was approaching me and my dog on the sidewalk. The dog owner has filed a complaint saying I committed animal abuse and that the dog was under the complainant's control. It is against Chicago ordinance for dogs to be off leash. Do I need a lawyer?

1. Judy A. Goldstein

11

Answered . While you don'[t NEED a lawyer, it would be helpful to have one to present your best defense.

2. J. Richard Kulerski

8

Answered . I agree with attorney Goldstein. You do not need a lawyer, but you would appreciate having one.

3. Christopher Daniel Leroi

6

Answered . You definitely should hire an attorney to get the best possible plea agreement or outcome for your case.

Pro

6

Answered . Get one

5. Tara Kaylene Millan

Pro

3

Answered . It has got to be against city ordinance to have a dog off of the leash-even one under voice command. However, I am unaware of the law in your area.
    Just reading your problem though-it sure sounds reasonable what you did-the dog must have been approaching with speed and aggression I assume?

Find a good animal law lawyer in your area. At the very least why don't you file a complaint for dog off of leash, aggressive animal etc? Turn the tables and attack (so to speak)!

Best of luck to you!

6. Edward Brandon Beckham

1

Answered . Consult with an attorney, licensed in your jurisdiction, who is experienced in this area of law. Many lawyers, in a majority of jurisdictions, provide free initial consultations; see if there are any in your area.