I have a sticker on the middle of my license plate. It does not obscure any lettering or words on it. Is it legal in Florida?

Asked about 4 years ago - Pensacola, FL

316.605 Is what I am referring to. I have a sticker in between the numbers. It does not in anyway obscure the numbers or wording on the tag. It just covers the goofy oranges on it. Is that legal?

1. Adam James Ellis

Answered . Mr. Cogan is absolutely correct. "Bad cop, no donut" stickers may be funny to some, but you would have to be an idiot to put something like that on your car. The risk associated with making the statement just isn't worth it. If the goofy oranges bother you so much, pay a little extra and get a manatee plate.

2. Derek B Brett

Answered . So long as it does not obscure the information on the license plate, you should be fine. My colleagues' advice remains valid about the attraction of undue attention from law enforcement.

Derek Brett
    The Brett Law Firm, P.A.
    Orlando, Florida

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

3. Catherine Ann Drees

Pro

Answered . F.S. 316.605 clearly states..".Nothing shall be placed upon the face of a Florida plate except as permitted by law or by rule or regulation of a governmental agency." Your sticker is absolutely illegal per se as it has not been approve by a governmental agency..

4. Mark C Cogan

Pro

Answered . Any sticker that is attached to a license plate, and even the frame that people frequently put on their vehicle license plates, is likely to get you unwanted attention by the police. Why run the risk? Suppose you are pulled over and merely given a warning. Who needs that kind of trouble?