I have a speeding ticket in Bedford, NY for doing 25 MPH over the speed limit.

Asked over 1 year ago - Bedford, NY

If I send it in with a guilty plea will my insurance go up. This will be my only ticket in a long time.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

10

Answered . Probably. I have done tickets in that area. It is about raising revenue for the Town. You can likely plead to a no or low points ticket and pay a fine. You will do well to hire a local traffic court lawyer.

2. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

9

Answered . It likely would. You should consider retaining counsel.

3. Yefim Rubinov

9

Answered . Most probably. Get a lawyer to negotiate the ticket down to a lesser charge or even a parking ticket.

4. Daniel Alexander Jimenez

9

Answered . 25 mph over the speed limit would cause you to incur six points on your license. With six points you would become responsible for paying a driver safety assessment of 300.00 in addition to any fines. Although each insurance company has different underwriting criteria a speeding ticket could also cause you to see an increase in premiums.

An experienced traffic law attorney may be successful in getting the ticket dismissed or reduced to a non moving violations.

5. Michael Evan Greenspan

8

Answered . It is usually advisable to fight a speeding ticket in local court. Westchester County based attorneys who handle these matters as well as attorneys from outside of the County, can arrange for you to avoid appearing in court and can resolve the matter on your behalf with the goal of having the ticket dismissed (under the appropriate circumstances) or have the charge reduced either to a lower speed, or to a non-moving violation -- therefore without points on your license.

While you state that this is your only ticket in a long time, consider that your license can be suspended for three speeds in 18 months. If you plead guilty to speeding, you need to be aware of the potential future consequences.

6. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

6

Answered . Yes and you should hire an attorney.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net