Skip to main content

I have a sole legal custody of the child, other parent have a visitation rights i moved to Pa on september 15 other parent live

Moon Township, PA |

i have a sole legal custody of the child, other parent have a visitation rights i moved to Pa on september 15 other parent live in other state, can i apply for child support as i have a custody?

The relocation with child has been allowed by MD court, which awarded sole physical/legal custody to me, father. Our MD attorney adviced me not to raise issue about child support until child becomes resident of another state (PA), which is either 6mo or 1 year depending on what lawyer answers. Therefore child support issue has not been raised yet. PA law says i can ask for child support starting from day i was awarded sole legal/physical custody, i.e. i can ask for back-pay too. Question: when it is best to apply for child support in PA? Thank you very much in advance

Attorney Answers 3

  1. ABBBBsolutely. Get an Attorney, times a wasting.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship

  2. If you have primary custody you can apply for support. The case is usually located where the defendant lives, but you often don't need to go back for hearings. You should contact an attorney to discuss cross state support cases. They can be complicated.

    This answer is for informative purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. This Q&A forum does not create an attorney/client relationship. If you have a legal concern that is important to you, I urge you to consult with an attorney. For those who are concerned about their ability to afford legal assistance, the ACBA's Lawyer Referral Service is here to help: .

  3. If you were already awarded sole custody, how was child support not dealt with before? If by sole custody you just mean that you've never been to court over this, that's one thing. But, if you have been, then that court may retain jurisdiction over those issues. Talk to a local attorney.

    This advice is based upon limited and hypothetical circumstances. For an answer that is specific to your situation, please consult an attorney. The answering of this question does not create an attorney/client relationship, and the poster should seek additional information from qualified legal counsel. Many attorneys, like ours, offer no-cost consultations.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics