I have a sole legal custody of the child, other parent have a visitation rights i moved to Pa on september 15 other parent live

Asked over 1 year ago - Moon Township, PA

i have a sole legal custody of the child, other parent have a visitation rights i moved to Pa on september 15 other parent live in other state, can i apply for child support as i have a custody?

The relocation with child has been allowed by MD court, which awarded sole physical/legal custody to me, father. Our MD attorney adviced me not to raise issue about child support until child becomes resident of another state (PA), which is either 6mo or 1 year depending on what lawyer answers. Therefore child support issue has not been raised yet. PA law says i can ask for child support starting from day i was awarded sole legal/physical custody, i.e. i can ask for back-pay too. Question: when it is best to apply for child support in PA? Thank you very much in advance

1. Julie Rebecca Colton

Pro

Answered . If you have primary custody you can apply for support. The case is usually located where the defendant lives, but you often don't need to go back for hearings. You should contact an attorney to discuss cross state support cases. They can be complicated.

2. Stephen Ross Cohen

Answered . ABBBBsolutely. Get an Attorney, times a wasting.

3. Joshua T. Mathews

Pro

Answered . If you were already awarded sole custody, how was child support not dealt with before? If by sole custody you just mean that you've never been to court over this, that's one thing. But, if you have been, then that court may retain jurisdiction over those issues. Talk to a local attorney.