I have a small business that I do part time, but last year I didnt do any transaction/project. Do I need to file for tax return?

Asked over 1 year ago - Albany, NY

I have a small business that I do part time, but last year I didnt do any transaction/project. Do I need to file for tax return under my busiess name? I used to do Turbo Tax Home & Business but not sure if I should just do my W2's this year.

1. Scott J. Wittlin

5

Answered . Is this small business incorporated and did it previously files a corporate return. Or was this small business reported on Schedule C of your income tax return. If the latter, than file your normal 1040 with the W-2 income. If it’s incorporated you most likely need to file the corporate return until you dissolve the entity.

2. Ronald J Cappuccio

Pro

4

Answered . Yes. You should file a tax return to start the Statute of Limitations.

Ron Cappuccio
    www.taxesq.com

3. M Kay Lewis

4

Answered . I totally agree with Scott's answer. If you filed that business on a Schedule C of F, then you have no income needing that schedule, so just file with your W-2's. But if it is an incorporated business that filed a 1120 or 1120-S previously, then you need to file even though you had no income in it.