Skip to main content

I have a small business, and someone stole my tax ID and has been using it without my permission, can i sue them for fraud?

Dallas, TX |

The person lied on the paper they were my business partner, i am not sure where else they have used my tax ID, and i might be held liable for paying taxes and more so they are using my identity which is not theirs.

Attorney Answers 3


Talk to a local tax lawyer or enrolled agent offline who can review the specifics and advise you of your next steps. Best of luck

Statements posted on the Avvo Q&A section are not legal advice. No prudent person anywhere at any time should ever rely upon any statements posted on the Avvo Q&A section. There is no attorney-client privilege based on this interaction. I am not your attorney and there is no attorney-client privilege up until the moment that we have a signed engagement letter with a clear understanding regarding fees - at which point we will not be discussing your legal issue online on a public Q&A board that anyone in the world can view. You should find an attorney that can best represent your interests: using the Avvo lawyer search is one of many possible utilities online to collect names of lawyers you might be interested in meeting with offline to discuss your legal issue in full detail so the legal advice can be tailored to the specific facts of your legal issue.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Possibly. You should contact the taxing jurisdiction to see what they advise.

The above statements are provided as general information and not intended as legal advice. Each matter has its own set of unique circumstances that cannot be adequately addressed without consultation. You are strongly advised to hire an attorney licensed to practice law in your state to represent you.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


If someone truly did steal "your" tax ID, then in addition to suing them (which may not get you anything other than their stopping the use of the number) you should contact the IRS to inform them of this theft.

This is not intended to be legal advice, and is general in nature.

Mark as helpful

Tax law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics