I have a slip/fall case. My attorney lied to me - what can I do now?

Asked over 4 years ago - Mission Viejo, CA

The owners of the club where I fell have been ignoring my attorney's letters for over 9 months. My Attorney said he would file the case in court in November and has still not filed any paperwork. I have not given him any money as it is on contingency but I do have substantial hospital bills.

1. Peter Robert Stone

1

1

Answered . If you are unhappy with the attorney you can ask for your file back, and you can go hire another attorney. He may ask for a lien on the case, or you may ask him to release your file without a lien.

Peter :)

2. Marc Sean Hurd

1

1

Answered . I don't know what "lie" you may be referring to, and there may be legitimate reasons for not having filed a suit yet (e.g. there may be no need to spend money that may ultimately come out of your pocket for filing and proof of service fees if there have been settlement talks with an insurance carrier). That said, if you're unhappy with your lawyer, talk with him/her. My experience tells me that problems between a lawyer and client most often occur because of a lack of communication. If still not satisfied, as my colleague has indicated, you can seek out the help of another lawyer, though if you do your current lawyer may be able to ask for the reasonable value of his time and efforts even with a contingency fee agreement.

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

3. Norman Gregory Fernandez

Pro

1

2

Answered . My law firm handles slip and fall cases all over the State of California. Do yourself a favor, give me a call for a free consultation at 800-816-1529 ext. 1. You can also check out my slip and fall website at www.slip-and-fall.net or go to my main personal injury website at www.thepersonalinjury.com .

If I can help you, I will let you know over the phone. In the State of California you can terminate your attorney at any time. I can help you with this as well if need be.