I have a six months residency in nj, so can I still file for divorce as it will be uncontested?

Asked about 1 year ago - Avenel, NJ

I am a U.S. Citizen and want a divorce because of compatibility issues with my spouse.

1. David F Salvaggio

Pro

8

Answered . Unless the grounds for your divorce is adultery, EITHER you or your spouse must have been a bona fide resident of NJ for at least 1 year prior to filing for divorce.

I recommend that you meet with a New Jersey Divorce Law Firm as soon as possible, to go over your situation in detail, get educated answers to your questions, and expert guidance as to the best course of action.

2. Melissa A Fecak

2

Answered . Unfortunately, you will need to wait a full 12 months for your divorce. Even if your spouse does not object to the matter being heard in New Jersey, the Court will not allow you to proceed unless you are a resident of the State for a year.

I agree you may want to consult with an attorney to assist you in this matter.
    Best of luck to you .

3. Anthony J Van Zwaren

Pro

Answered . As mentioned, the NJ laws on divorce require at least twelve months of residency at the time that you file your complaint for the court to have jurisdiction except for adultery.