I have a six months residency in nj, so can I still file for divorce as it will be uncontested?

Asked over 1 year ago - Avenel, NJ

I am a U.S. Citizen and want a divorce because of compatibility issues with my spouse.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. David F Salvaggio

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unless the grounds for your divorce is adultery, EITHER you or your spouse must have been a bona fide resident of NJ for at least 1 year prior to filing for divorce.

    I recommend that you meet with a New Jersey Divorce Law Firm as soon as possible, to go over your situation in detail, get educated answers to your questions, and expert guidance as to the best course of action.

    DISCLAIMER The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should... more
  2. Melissa A Fecak

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unfortunately, you will need to wait a full 12 months for your divorce. Even if your spouse does not object to the matter being heard in New Jersey, the Court will not allow you to proceed unless you are a resident of the State for a year.

    I agree you may want to consult with an attorney to assist you in this matter.
    Best of luck to you .

    This answer is being made for informational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice. By responding to... more
  3. Anthony J Van Zwaren


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . As mentioned, the NJ laws on divorce require at least twelve months of residency at the time that you file your complaint for the court to have jurisdiction except for adultery.

    DISCLAIMER: This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice unless you... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Uncontested divorce

An uncontested divorce is one in which spouses agree on relevant issues such as division of property, child custody/support, and alimony.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,034 answers this week

3,616 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,034 answers this week

3,616 attorneys answering