I have a six months residency in nj, so can I still file for divorce as it will be uncontested?

Avenel, NJ |

I am a U.S. Citizen and want a divorce because of compatibility issues with my spouse.

1. Unless the grounds for your divorce is adultery, EITHER you or your spouse must have been a bona fide resident of NJ for at least 1 year prior to filing for divorce.

I recommend that you meet with a New Jersey Divorce Law Firm as soon as possible, to go over your situation in detail, get educated answers to your questions, and expert guidance as to the best course of action.

DISCLAIMER The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

2. Unfortunately, you will need to wait a full 12 months for your divorce. Even if your spouse does not object to the matter being heard in New Jersey, the Court will not allow you to proceed unless you are a resident of the State for a year.

I agree you may want to consult with an attorney to assist you in this matter.
    Best of luck to you .

This answer is being made for informational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice. By responding to a question, no attorney-client relationship has been established.

3. As mentioned, the NJ laws on divorce require at least twelve months of residency at the time that you file your complaint for the court to have jurisdiction except for adultery.

DISCLAIMER: This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice unless you have entered into a fee agreement with the Law Office of Anthony J. Van Zwaren, P.C. and have paid the required fees. The information contained in this email may be privileged. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information contained within it by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachments from your system and notify us.