I have a single pregnant relative, and the biological father is harassing us. How do we get the biological rights revoked?

Asked over 1 year ago - Wells, VT

He is harassing the pregnant mother and grandmother with emails and phone calls, although civil, it's continuous We have contacted his Parole Officer, and nothing. Although the pregnant mother lied about a miscarriage for the safety of her and the child, he found out and is unhappy and wants to be in the child's life. He is unstable and unfit for a child to raise, he once tried to commit suicide. The child need to be born and raised in a SAFE environment and with close family members to help out. He is going to make a tough fight. But we were wondering if his biological rights can be revoked due to safety? And would like accurate info for the single pregnant mother and the biological father.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Lars A. Lundeen


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Before rights can be terminated, they need to be established. Your relative should consult with a family law attorney who can help establish the paternity of the father and also help secure an enforceable support order.

    There is very little likelihood that this person would obtain custody, given his criminal and psychological background. However, simply because the person makes your relative uncomfortable, you may not be able to prevent parent/child contact. If the father's parental rights and responsibilities are terminated, your relative will probably lose the ability to gain support from the father.

    I suggest that your relative speak with an attorney before the child is born.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

    This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  2. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . First of all, there is no child so parental rights are not yet relevant. Next, the putative father will have rights when the child is born. The mother should hire counsel immediately so that everything will be ready to go when the child is born.

    NOTE: No private person can seek or be granted termination of parental rights. Only your state's child protective agency or the DA can ask. If there is an adoption, parental rights can be terminated if there is sufficient proof of abiuse or neglect, or if the biological father agrees. Be prepared to have this man in the child's live for a long time if he files the necessary papers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,130 answers this week

3,055 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,130 answers this week

3,055 attorneys answering