I have a show cause summons for supposed violating probation, can I get an attorney if I cannot afford one or will they sentence

Leesburg, VA |

My life has become insane. I was accused of shoplifting in kohls I was still in the store and was only trying to make a call. They said I was concealing merchandise, it was in their cart and I had a $204.00 gift card to pay for everything, he did not care. I had everything that was 8% off but he rang it all up at retail suddenly it was a felony!. I went to court and he only got it down to a misdeameanor I am 60 and very disabled so I am having trouble getting the 96b hours done. THEN!!!!! I left a small vegetable bag of cucumbers etc at Martins, I called they said I could have them all back $ $17.88 of veg. I went to buy other stuff gathered left behind items exactly. I showed them to the cashier HE TOLD ME TWICE I WAS FINE TO GO. THERE IS NOT ENOUGH LEFT TO EXPLAIN THEY ARRESTED ME VIOLAT

Sounds like your violation is based upon failure to complete community service, and if I am not mystaken, a knew theft charge?

Regardless, if you cannot afford an attorney, you can request a court appointed attorney if they are looking to put you in jail.

James S. Abrenio

This answer does not create a attorney/client relationship, but is intended solely in the court of discussion. It is always my recommendation to retain an attorney whenever a court appearance is necessary. This recommendation is highlighted when it relates to an individual's criminal record.

2. To echo Mr. Abrenio, it seems that the violation is for a new charge and failure to complete community service. At the first court date, you can request the court to appoint you the Office of the Public Defender, unless you had a court-appointed attorney on the underlying charge, in which case you will be appointed your prior attorney.

DISCLAIMER:
    THIS WEBSITE MAY CONTAIN CUMULATIVE AND SPECIFIC CASE RESULTS OF MATTERS HANDLED BY ERIC DEMETRIADES. CASE RESULTS DEPEND UPON A VARIETY OF FACTORS UNIQUE TO EACH CASE. CASE RESULTS DO NOT GUARANTEE OR PREDICT A SIMILAR RESULT IN ANY FUTURE CASE UNDERTAKEN BY THE LAW FIRM.