I have a sexual harassment question with 2 minors?

Pomona, CA |

I have a case of a "sexual harrasment" that happen 2years ago. My nephew was 11years old when this happen he is now 13 years old. He had happen to touch this little girl in a inapropiate way she was 7years old and this had happen in our house she is now 9. There hasn't been no sue in process,but he has to go to court, and has to go to a psychologist to get evaluated because due to hes age 4years in difference. i have no lawyer! Do you propose to get a lawyer or just do it ourselfs?

1. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one might be appointed for your nephew if the consequences of the court process you are going through includes loss of his liberty (like a juvenile hall sentence). You should absolutely NOT try to handle this yourselves. There can be serious consequences that should not be left to someone untrained to provide the best defense possible.

Keep in mind that the 7 year old does not have to sue until a couple of years after she reaches the age of 18. Therefore, civil consequences will not be resolved for many years.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

2. I think that this is really a JUVENILE LAW or CRIMINAL DEFENSE LAW questions but as a former juvenile prosecutor (in Travis County, Austin, Texas) I would answer that with a resounding yes. Hire a lawyer to make sure your son has the protection and legal benefit of an attorney. Best Wishes, Kevin

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at www.kevinmadison.com and www.texassexualharassmentattorney.com. Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at http://texassexualharassmentattorney.com/blog/

3. I would definitely recommend finding an attorney right away. Talk to both a criminal defense attorney if criminal charges are pending and a civil attorney for the possible civil ramifications that can follow the criminal proceeding. Because they are both minors, the female victim has many years to file a lawsuit.

4. This is not sexual harassment. This can be charged as child molestation, sexual battery or annoying or molesting a child. You absolutely need a criminal defense attorney to handle this matter because this case can be prosecuted in juvenile court as a felony and your nephew can be locked up in a juvenile facility or a group home, depending on how serious the touching was. The laws in this area are very complex so you should not try and handle this yourself.