I have a sentencing hearing tomorrow.

Asked almost 3 years ago - Del Norte, CO

I have a serious knee injury, which requires surgery. The D.A. refuses to continue the hearing. What can I do?

1. Aaron Garth Norris

3

Answered . It is not up to the District Attorney to decide if a hearing will be continued (although it helps a great deal if he or she does not object), that is up to the judge to decide. The only way that a party can get their presence waived or a hearing continued is with permission from the court. The court won't spontaneously decide to do those things without a motion from the party stating the reasons for the need to continue. If someone is running out of time to get a court to make a ruling, they need to file either an "expedited motion" or an "emergency motion". However it is important to beware the court will frown on last minute motions.

2. Danyel S. Joffe

3

Answered . At this point in time, you will probably need to appear at sentencing. You can try calling the Court and explaining the situation. You have nothing to lose by trying.
    Why do you want to continue the hearing. Is it because you will be in surgery or because you are concerned that you will be sentenced to jail and will be unable to get your surgery before going to jail.
    If you are concerned with being sentenced to jail and thus unable to get surgery, bring a note from your doctor, along with your doctors name a phone number and explain your situation to the judge. The judge may give you time to get surgery and recover before sending you to jail.

3. John Kenneth Pineau

Pro

Answered . Dude, get a lawyer. Screw the DA. Get a lawyer and have him file a motion for a continuance.

Happy holidays!

John