I have a seat belt fine for not having my 6 yr old in a car seat. My fine is $270.00 and I have no funds to pay (unemployed) ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Statesville, NC

What can I do ?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Andrew Patrick Crook

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Different counties handle charges differently, but in my experience district attorneys want proof that you place your child in the proper restraint while in your vehicle. I generally advise my clients to provide me with a picture of her child strapped into a car seat, or for older children, a picture of the child wearing a seatbelt. If you show this proof to the district attorney on your court date, he or she may dismiss your case, and if you case is dismissed you won't have to pay a fine or court costs.

  2. Adam W. Bull


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you've already plead guilty there is not much that can done. If not you can ask the DA to dismiss the case but this is unlikely. In that event you can ask the judge for time to pay or continue your case for a short period so you can cone up with fnds. Some judges will put you on probation until you can pay but this will also mean more costs for probation.

Related Topics

Traffic tickets and seat belt laws

Under the seat belt law, you can get a ticket for wearing your seat belt wrongly or not at all, or for having children improperly restrained in the car.

Daniel Alexander Jimenez

Tickets and New Drivers in New York

Congratulations! You just received your driver's license. And now you have just received your first traffic ticket. Keep the following information in mind to minimize the damage.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,427 answers this week

3,343 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,427 answers this week

3,343 attorneys answering