I have a retirement plan I would like to liquidate. I also have debt with the IRS. Will the IRS seize the money?

Asked 8 months ago - Blakely Island, WA

I have worked out a payment plan w/ them and have payee them faithfully each month

1. Linda Simmons Campbell

Pro

5

Answered . It depends on whether or not you have a lien filed against you. Even if you do and you need the money for necessary living expenses you may be able to keep some or all of the money.

2. Bruce Givner

Pro

4

Answered . It is unlikely that the IRS will seize the money before you receive the funds from the retirement plan. However, it is possible that the IRS has a lien on it and has given notice to the retirement plan. Ms. Campbell has given good advice.

3. Kevin Matthew Sayed

4

Answered . If you have a payment plan in place the IRS normally releases other levies/claims/garnishments once you enter into the payment plan. As long as you continue to pay the IRS typically would not try to go after your assets. Key, ***make your payments under the plan and do not default. If so, likely smooth sailing for you.