I have a restraining order against my daughters father can I file to get full custody of her still?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Corona, CA

I have a restraning order against my daughters father for the next 5 years but ive bin thinking about try to get full custody of her because I think he is a danger to her because before he got served he tryd to run me n my daughter n my fiance of the road in are small car with his truck and for that reason and few more the judge gave me the restraining order for 5 year but since my 5 years are not up I wana know if I should wait?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Howard M Lewis


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Based on the facts you present, it sounds as if you have a basis for requesting a change of custody with the court. I strongly suggest that you consult with local counsel regarding your rights and the steps you need to take to pursue a change in custody. Good luck!

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more
  2. Michelle J. Cameron-Hunsaker

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . Any time you have changed circumstances you can petition the court for an order modifying custody. The restraining order would stay in effect but you would likely have to see him during court proceedings. You will be required to do a mediation session and so will he, but because of the restraining order you will do the session at different times. Look over your restraining order for how custody was ordered for the duration of the restraining order, as the judge may have already done custody modification if you requested it in the request for the restraining order.

    The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an... more
  3. Shauna Marie Albright


    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . Based on the facts presented, you may want to consider filing for sole physical and sole legal custody of your daughter. There is no need to wait until your five years are up. Normally, custody orders are part of the restraining order when children are involved. I am somewhat surprised that there are no custody orders already giving you sole legal and sole physical custody. Is your daughter listed as a protective person in the retraining order. Based on the facts presented, she should be.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,264 answers this week

3,208 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,264 answers this week

3,208 attorneys answering