I have a rental property in which the tennants have not been paying. I need some time to catch up the mortage. What is the best

Asked 8 months ago - Rio Vista, CA

I have a rental property in which the tennants have not been paying. I need some time to catch up the mortage. What is the best way to go about this?

1. Steven Alan Fink

2

Answered . A loan modification would be the best way to do it. Check with your lender or servicer on their website about your options. Make sure you do not fall more than two payments behind or they can start foreclosure proceedings.

2. Justin C. Lowenthal

Answered . You really only have two options: 1) request a loan modification, or 2) withhold payment until you are able to pay. Once you become in default, however, the lender may commence foreclosure proceedings. That's something that you need to be aware of.

If you are having problems collecting from your tenants, you need to serve the tenants with a 3-day notice to pay or quit, then commence unlawful detainer (eviction) proceedings, if necessary.