I Have a rent stabilized apartment and had 3 roommates over the past 2 years. I have lived in the apt for 20 years. My first

Asked 8 months ago - New York, NY

roommate was here for 2 months and I can't remember what she paid. The second one was here for two months and paid $700 , the rent was $966. The third roommate was here and was paying $1100 and the rent was $1229,00. Both the last two roommates rent included charges for cable, internet phone and electric and food share. Can I be evicted for profiteering?

1. Elizabeth Shollenberger Esq.

Pro

4

Answered . You are certainly looking at the correct factors.. If your landlord starts such a proceeding, you should run not walk to an experienced tenants' attorney. If you are simply thinking about protecting yourself, you should break out the costs. Example: tell your roommate in writing that s/he is paying $614 toward the rent, $___ toward the cable, $___ toward phone service, $____ toward electricity, and $___ toward food.

2. Steven Warren Smollens

4

Answered . Dear New York Tenant:

The facts you described would support a landlord decision to terminate your tenancy. When posting on AVVO do not state your specific facts. Asking as a hypothetical is not the same as a statement of facts which the landlord may "discover" and use against you as an admission against interest.

See a lawyer specializing in tenant's rights.