I have a relative that left a will but the person wants me to send money to London before I go there to recieve my inheritance..

the firm and bank that my uncle dealt with contacted me about his fatal car crash in London on bussiness.. left deed of Lodge, certificate of Deposit, and Death Certificate, the person from winchesterlamb_chambers wants me to send and pay 1/2 and he pays 1/2 for attorney to repesent me for my inheritance... in british pounds its 2million4hundred-thounsand pounds..which is 3.8million in USA dollars... i told him i could come to London and pay 1/2 upon meeting the attorney and himself,but wants me to send money first then come... what should I do???

1. You should be very cautious since it sounds like a scam. You need a Brit solicitor (lawyer) to contact these people to see if they're serious. Do not send any advance payment.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

2. I agree this reads like a Nigerian scam. I would be very surprised if this was legitimate. If you believe it may be, because you know the wealthy uncle who died, you should contact and have the approval of your own solicitor in the UK before part with a penny.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

3. Sounds like a complete scam. There's NO reason that I can imagine that you'd need to send a cent before meeting with the attorney, so unless you can INDEPENDENTLY verify that these people are who they say they are, ignore 'em, or better yet, report 'em to the police.

4. So this lawyer is saying you have to retain him before meeting him? Really, what does that sound like to you? I suspect that this person has stolen the identity of a real British lawyer,and that the wire info that you are being given will not match up with the account of that firm. When you get to their office no one there will know anything about you. Call them and ask to speak to the person who supposedly called you- see what happens

Wills and estates topics