I have a question regarding sealing of a Deferred Judgement...

Asked 7 months ago - Greeley, CO

I was involved in a bad car accident several years ago, one I'm not proud of. I given a deferred judgment on a F4 Eluding charge, but convicted on a misdemeanor Reckless Endangerment charge in the same case. I successfully completed the deferred judgment's probation, leading to the charge being dismissed. (I have run a background check on myself and it shows "dismissed" for the Eluding). I am inquiring whether I can even get this sealed? I've heard mixed opinions on whether it is even possible. I need to know because I had a company I applied to work at turn me down, citing a felony conviction. I'm afraid it is affecting my ability to get gainful employment, and as such would love to know if it can be sealed. Thank you.

1. Daniel S Garner

8

Answered . In most jurisdictions you can get a felony conviction expunged as long as you haven't had any other run-ins with the law. Each state is different as to how long you have to wait or what type of felonies can be expunged. I would use Avvo's find a lawyer tool to find a local attorney, it shouldn't cost that much to get this taken care of as long as you qualify.

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

6

Answered . You can not get a felony or misdemeanor conviction in Colorado sealed. Colorado does not offer expungement of adult convictions and does not allow for any conviction to be sealed unless it is a class 6 felony drug use after 10 years.

3. Timothy George Kerrigan

7

Answered . The issues you raise are state law issues, with the timing and ability to have convictions sealed, annulled or whatever varying from state to state. Contact a local lawyer using the AVVO find a lawyer tab and make the telephone call.

Pro

6

Answered . State laws vary, but contact a local expungement lawyer. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated Avvo attorney with a low fee. Good luck.