I have a question regarding sealing of a Deferred Judgement...

Greeley, CO |

I was involved in a bad car accident several years ago, one I'm not proud of. I given a deferred judgment on a F4 Eluding charge, but convicted on a misdemeanor Reckless Endangerment charge in the same case. I successfully completed the deferred judgment's probation, leading to the charge being dismissed. (I have run a background check on myself and it shows "dismissed" for the Eluding). I am inquiring whether I can even get this sealed? I've heard mixed opinions on whether it is even possible. I need to know because I had a company I applied to work at turn me down, citing a felony conviction. I'm afraid it is affecting my ability to get gainful employment, and as such would love to know if it can be sealed. Thank you.

In most jurisdictions you can get a felony conviction expunged as long as you haven't had any other run-ins with the law. Each state is different as to how long you have to wait or what type of felonies can be expunged. I would use Avvo's find a lawyer tool to find a local attorney, it shouldn't cost that much to get this taken care of as long as you qualify.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

You can not get a felony conviction in Colorado sealed. Colorado does not offer expungement of adult convictions and does not allow for any conviction to be sealed unless it is a class 6 felony drug use after 10 years.

The issues you raise are state law issues, with the timing and ability to have convictions sealed, annulled or whatever varying from state to state. Contact a local lawyer using the AVVO find a lawyer tab and make the telephone call.

No information provided in response to these questions can be relied upon in any way without further personally consulting with Attorney Kerrigan and Attorney Kerrigan consulting personally with you regarding your specific legal situation.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

State laws vary, but contact a local expungement lawyer. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated Avvo attorney with a low fee. Good luck.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

You can not get a felony or misdemeanor conviction in Colorado sealed. Colorado does not offer expungement of adult convictions and does not allow for any conviction to be sealed unless it is a class 6 felony drug use after 10 years.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

So there's absolutely nothing I can do to clear off the deferred portion? I know that this is effecting my job prospects, as it seems many employers (especially where I live now, now that I no longer live in Northern Colorado), have absolutely zero clue that there is a difference between a dismissed deferred adjudication, and a conviction. Are there any steps that can be taken that'll make it where places other than low-wage food service jobs will give me the time of day?

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Unfortunately, you have what we call a split plea in CO. Because a guilty plea was entered in the case to a misdemeanor, it prevents the felony from being sealed. I understand and can definitely sympathize with your frustrations. It is a pretty harsh rule.

So since sealing is impossible, are there any ways I can make it where employers can't use this against me? I'm tired of being haunted by this one stupid act from when I was 21.