I have a question regarding false advertising on food labels and lying about nutritional value.

New York, NY |

I have been using a cooking base/sauce of a well known brand in a lot of food recipes. Despite a very low fat diet and running 6 miles a day, my husband is having a hard time losing weight. I started going through every product that I purchase and I have a serious doubt that this product is truly fat free as advertised. The front of the product (the marketing), makes the product seem super healthy and fresh - and the nutritional value lists 0 grams of fat. However, now that I have studied the ingredients which are finely printed, it seems IMPOSSIBLE that this product is truly fat free. It lists a number of oils and other known fatty ingredients on the list. I have tried to call the company but noone answers. If I do find that this product contains fat, can I sue?

The answer to your question probably lies in the "serving size". The FDA allows products to say zero fat or low fat if the number of grams falls below a certain level. By reducing the "serving size", they are allowed to show their product as zero fat. To understand this better, look at a can of spray cooking oil. Spray cooking oil IS oil, but when you give a quick spritz (very quick), the actual fat contact comes out to be less than 0.5 grams. If calling the company doesn't help, maybe going to their website or facebook page (if they have one) will get you an answer, or do it the old fashioned way and write. Suing is useless. If the product turns out to not be what you want, switch to another product. Also, for future reference, check out: http://www.fda.gov/food/guidanceregulation/guidancedocumentsregulatoryinformation/labelingnutrition/ucm064911.htm.

In this case, the FDA also needs to be sued. And I don't think suing is useless, it can teach people a lesson. In this case, the lesson would be not to misled consumers as it can negatively influence their most important asset, THEIR HEALTH. My husband has worked very hard and we have altered our lifestyle for months with no result. If this product says 0 fat and it is full of fat, the company deserves to be held accountable. I believe that is why we sue, otherwise companies would do whatever they want and lawyers would have to make a career change. If any other attorney has a different perspective, I'd love to hear it. I plan on having this product analyzed by a food laboratory. Thank you.