Skip to main content

I have a question regarding F-1 Visa please..

San Diego, CA |

I am 17 years old from China and I am on B-2 visa. I am planning on changing my status to F-1. My school offers the following programs: English as a second language and hotel management.
What are my best chances for my change of status to get approved and get the F-1? Shall I go for "English" or "Hotel Management"? or both?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


Put both, also contact and attorney to make sure you are on the right track.

Law Offices of Hasbini 619-200.8986. Free on phone and in office consultation.


The chances of being approved depend on the consular officer being convinced that you will not remain in the US.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Your chances of approval are directly dependent upon the consular officers belief that you will not want to remain in the US after the conclusion of your studies, as well as your ability to support yourself during your studies.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Discuss this with your school's DSO. Interview several schools, if you haven't already. Either option might work if the qualifications are there. In order to change status, your "immigrant intent" will be reviewed.

Immigration Attorney Jeff Khurgel* Assists Clients in all 50 States -- Call or email for a Consultation -- -- Contact information below. Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is akin to an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance -- Khurgel Immigration Law Firm -- 4199 Campus Drive, Suite 550 / Irvine, CA 92612 / Office: (949) 509-6515 / Direct: (949) 535-6331 / Web: / Email: / *Attorney Khurgel is a former USCIS and Department of State Embassy Officer.


Your likelihood of success is directly related to your ability to convince the consular officer that you do not plan to remain in the U.S. after you complete your studies and your financial ability to care for yourself while you are in school. Good luck!


Assuming you want to change your status from B-2 to F-1 in the U.S., you should go with your education goal and try to explain it in your application. In other words, you should go with whichever that would make your intent to study more convincing. You should consult an immigration attorney to avoid any problem that may arise due to lack of knowledge and experience in preparing a change of status application.

This is general information, not legal advice. This does not establish any attorney client relationship.


Discuss your plan with the school DSO and corroborate the submission with all required documents for better chance of approval.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer