I have a question please help

Beaumont, TX |

If I had a court appointed lawyer and didn't know I had one and went to my first court date was he suppose to show up if I had a court appointed lawyer. Because the guy I was with we got charged the same thing we was together we are not in jail we bonded together how does he have a court appointed contacting him threw mail and today was my court date and no one contacted me if I had one was he or she suppose to be at the court with me today. Can they decide one can have a court appointed and one can't we have the same judge.. and same charge

1. if you are legally indigent and unable to hire a lawyer,the court must appoint you one. Check with the clerk of court to see who, if anyone, the court appointed. If you prefer to retain an attorney, you can certianly do that and should right away. The same lawyer normally (without waivers) will not be able to represent the 2 of you but the same judge may preside over both cases.

Any response given is not to be taken as legal advice or to create an attorney client relationship.

2. Whether or not you qualify for a court-appointed attorney depends on your financial status. Obviously, this varies from person to person so one co-defendant could qualify and not another. It could also be that his attorney just handles his communications differently. Nothing much happens before the first court date, so you could have a court appointed attorney who is planning on getting started at the first setting.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

3. Normally in Texas a defendant has to fill out a written application for a court appointed attorney before the court appoints one.

Yes, it is possible to have a case with two defendants where one has an appointed lawyer and one does not. This is because appointment of counsel is normally done based on the defendant being financially unable to hire a lawyer.

You can contact the clerk of the court or the court's administrator to inquire whether a lawyer has been appointed to represent you.

However, if you can afford a lawyer and want to have control over who represents you, you need to meet with some criminal defense lawyers. Most do not charge for the first visit.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.