I have a question please help

Asked over 1 year ago - Beaumont, TX

If I had a court appointed lawyer and didn't know I had one and went to my first court date was he suppose to show up if I had a court appointed lawyer. Because the guy I was with we got charged the same thing we was together we are not in jail we bonded together how does he have a court appointed contacting him threw mail and today was my court date and no one contacted me if I had one was he or she suppose to be at the court with me today. Can they decide one can have a court appointed and one can't we have the same judge.. and same charge

1. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

1

Answered . Whether or not you qualify for a court-appointed attorney depends on your financial status. Obviously, this varies from person to person so one co-defendant could qualify and not another. It could also be that his attorney just handles his communications differently. Nothing much happens before the first court date, so you could have a court appointed attorney who is planning on getting started at the first setting.

2. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

1

Answered . Normally in Texas a defendant has to fill out a written application for a court appointed attorney before the court appoints one.

Yes, it is possible to have a case with two defendants where one has an appointed lawyer and one does not. This is because appointment of counsel is normally done based on the defendant being financially unable to hire a lawyer.

You can contact the clerk of the court or the court's administrator to inquire whether a lawyer has been appointed to represent you.

However, if you can afford a lawyer and want to have control over who represents you, you need to meet with some criminal defense lawyers. Most do not charge for the first visit.

3. Richard Stephen Jaffe

1

Answered . if you are legally indigent and unable to hire a lawyer,the court must appoint you one. Check with the clerk of court to see who, if anyone, the court appointed. If you prefer to retain an attorney, you can certianly do that and should right away. The same lawyer normally (without waivers) will not be able to represent the 2 of you but the same judge may preside over both cases.

Any response given is not to be taken as legal advice or to create an attorney client relationship.