I have a question on domain names.

Asked over 2 years ago - Reno, NV

Is there a standard royalty rate for licensing a domain name? Who determines the percentage of a royalty rate for licensing a domain name? Or is it what ever is agreed upon between the two parties?

1. Michael Charles Doland

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . There is no standard rate. If you own a domain name containing a trademark and the trademark owner approaches you to transfer the domain name, don't try to "hold up" the trademark owner - that would be "cyber-squatting" and the domain name can without payment be taken from you involuntarily.

2. Kenneth Allyn Sprang

2

1

Answered . The parties can pretty much negotiate as they will, assuming that it is a straightforward transaction. The question is what the market will bear or what others are doing. That is, a licensee will only pay so much or it makes no business sense, and the licensee will not want to be abused financially. If I were to hazard a number, I would suggest 5% of sales, but defer to others who may be able to be more precise.