I have a question for alimony in Texas.

Asked almost 3 years ago - Mesquite, TX

I was married twenty one years and divorced in 2002. In my divorce degree, my ex-husband was ordered by the court to pay me three years of alimony for $730 dollars a month; Which he did not pay. My question is how can I get him to pay the money he owes? He's a retired military and he works as a parole officer for the city of Denton TX.
Thank you

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Joshua Cody Tisdale

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You were probably awarded spousal support, as there is no such thing as alimony in Texas.

    You will want to hire an attorney, as the only way to get him to pay is to ask nicely, or sue him. The attorney will probably file a motion to enforce the order, reduce it to judgment and then go after his bank accounts with the judgment.

    Good luck.

  2. Nicholas James Nuspl


    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Tisdale. To add to his answer: Texas courts will usually award attorney's fees to the movant of a motion to enforce. However, it is NOT easy to collect on a judgment against an individual in Texas. Most individuals are "judgment-proof" in Texas.

Related Topics


Alimony is the regular monetary allowance one ex-spouse may be required to pay the other after a divorce.

Howard M Lewis

Paying Alimony (Spousal Support)

Alimony, also known as maintenance or spousal support, refers to payments made by one spouse to the other after a couple divorces. These payments are for living expenses and/or child... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,826 answers this week

3,396 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,826 answers this week

3,396 attorneys answering