I have a question about the unlimited civil filing fee.

Pleasanton, CA |

If I file the cross complaint and motion to strike with my answer, jointly with my co-defendant, in our unlimited civil case, is it just the fee of $435, or is there an additional fee for the complaint, and is there even an additional fee for the motion to strike. Or are these all included in the $435. Is there a way around this fee? This is an unclean hands case; is there a fee-free motion to file to attempt to get the case dismissed based on unclean hands? No grounds for this suit. I could just imagine if 40 people (impossible yet possible in my example) filed unl. civil unclean hands cases, I'd have to pay $17,400 to answer and defend?! How does me having to pay make any sense. Any help is much appreciated, in advance. Thanks!

1. The filing fee for a first paper is $435 per defendant. You pay this fee when you file your answer, demurrer, motion to strike, or other first paper. The motion to strike involves an additional fee of $60, since it involves a hearing. Unless you can get a fee waiver based on financial hardship, the fees must be paid.

Whether the fee "makes sense" or not is probably not relevant in the grand scheme of things. The state has decided what the fee schedule should be, and we have to abide by it until it is changed.

2. While I agree with Charles Perry you also should be informed that you should first file your Motion to Strike and get a ruling from the court before you file your Answer and Cross Complaint.

If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you. This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.