I have a question about Squatters and the Adverse Possession law in Arkansas.

Asked 11 months ago - Little Rock, AR

If a squatter occupies a home for seven years, paid the taxes, up kept the lawn and maintenance of the house and bills are paid, how would they use the Adverse Possession Law? How would Adverse Possession work in a similar situation? Could the owner remove them the day of the filing for Adverse Possession? Thx

1. Aaron Scott Hill

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . Squatters are technically trespassers. The adverse possession laws in city limits pertain to adjacent land owners (not squatters). If the squatter wanted to get adverse possession they would probably have to adversely possess for 15 years. Also note the person seeking adverse possession must have color of title and the property covered is unimproved. In other words if you are a squatter enjoy your free rent while you can.

2. Cheryl Rivera Smith

Answered . I agree with Mr. Hill. Additionally to "perfect" title, the squatter will need to file a case in which the judge will render an order "declaring" the squatter the owner of the property.