I have a question about sentencing.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Corpus Christi, TX

I am having a bit of difficulty in trying to understand something in regards to a criminal case. As a first-time offender, when the judge passes sentencing, the D.A. said they'd work with me on a deal where my sentencing would be 360 days deferred adjudication. Do I initially get a sentencing of jail time but then get deferred adjudication instead? My attorney is not very good at explaining. In other words, will I be told initially that I am getting so many years in jail but instead of actual jail time, I'll get 360 deferred? Or is the 360 days deferred adjudication my actual sentencing being turned into deferred? I'm just trying to work this out. Hope it makes sense. It is a state jail felony. Thank you in advance.

1. Todd Bennett Steele

1

1

Answered . When you are placed on deferred adjudication, you are not sentenced. The judge deferrs a finding of guilt, and instead places you on probation. Your situation sounds like you are on probation for 360 days, and if you successfully complete that, you will not have a conviction.

2. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

1

1

Answered . Actually, when you are placed on deferred you are not sentenced to any time at all but simply placed on deferred probation for a period of X months or years. You cannot be sentenced to less than two years probation on a State Jail, so either this is a misunderstanding or your case is being reduced to a misdemeanor (which is certainly possible). When you are on deferred probation, the judge has the maximum punishment available to her if you violate. So on a State Jail, this would be two years in the State Jail. But if the case is being reduced to a misdemeanor, the maximum punishment on a revocation would be one year in the county jail. If you have not been sentenced yet, please ask all the questions you need to of either your attorney or the judge at that time so you fully understand the exposure you are facing.

3. Jonathan Neal Portner

Pro

2

Answered . 360 deferred means instead of jail time you have a deferred sentence.Jail time will result if you violate the conditions of the deferred adjudication.