I have a question about college expenses in a divorce decree? Kids attend private schools. How do I calculate what is owed?

Asked over 1 year ago - Syracuse, NY

States " College expenses shall be defined as all reasonable and necessary costs associated w/ a 2 or 4 year college education. program not to exceed the costs of a State University of New York college education including but not limited to tuition, room, board and books. Do I take the cost I paid to the private school up to what it costs to attend a SUNY school or do I deduct expenses from the SUNY costs of attending a college?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Rory M. Alarcon

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your obligation is for your share of the costs that would be incurred at a SUNY school. You would pay the private school costs up to the 'SUNY cap'. If you would pay $15,000.00 if you child went to a SUNY school, you would pay $15,000 toward the cost of the private school, even if your true share of costs would be more.

    Rory Alarcon, Esq., is a New York attorney practicing the areas of Family Law, Matrimonial Law, Foreclosure... more
  2. Jayson Lutzky


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Review the agreement with your divorce lawyer. The amount that would be used at the state school would be the limit of what could be used at a private school. The difference would be your responsibility.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate... more
  3. Marco Caviglia

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You leave out any terms concerning share of contribution by the respective parents. From that which you do state, you use the lower of the SUNY tuition, room, board and books or the actual costs for the private college attended. Then you apply the allocated percentage you are obligated to pay as a parent. If there is a shortfall of the actual to the cap, neither parent is on the hook, and the student will have to obtain financing elsewhere if neither parent can or will voluntarily pay the difference.

    If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for... more

Related Topics

Divorce decree

A divorce decree is the order a judge will issue that finalizes a divorce after proceedings have ended.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,020 answers this week

3,376 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,020 answers this week

3,376 attorneys answering