I have a question about a subrogation claim against me.

Asked over 1 year ago - Hackettstown, NJ

My ex boyfriend was involved in an auto accident back in july 2012. I had sold him my car and gave him the signed title but the only problem was that he never transferred the title into his name. He was under my insurance policy but when he called the insurance company at the time of the accident they discovered he was not living with me and due to the car not being garaged at my rescidence, they vodied my insurance. Now since they voided my insurance they dont want to pay for the damages to the other called involved in his accident and I have been sent a subrogation claim letter against me for almost 8,000. I have no proof that i sold my ex boyfirend the car and since the car was still in my name they are syaing i am responsible. My question is is there anything thing I can do?

Pro

3

Answered . It's tricky, thus, contact a car accident lawyer in your city to discuss.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  2. Jeffrey Ira Schwimmer

4

Answered . Although the information you provide is limited, I am not sure the carrier can rightfully disclaim coverage to you. You need to contact an attorney immediately who will not only analyze all the necessary paper work/information to see if the disclaimer was proper, but who will also defend you in the "subrogation action". Part of that defense is bringing a "third party action" against your ex-boyfriend to hold him liable for any payment you have to make for any negligence on his part in causing or contributing to the happening of the accident in question.

3. Michael Shemtoub

3

Answered . You are in a tricky situation here. I suggest you contact a local attorney immediately.

4. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

3

Answered . The first thing of course is talk to an attorney in your city regarding this particular issue. Second, if your ex-boyfriend would step up to the plate and pay for the damages caused by his accident, then everybody would be made whole. If that is not possible and assuming an attorney does not take your case, then you have the option to enter into a payment plan with the collection company. If that does not work, there is always bankruptcy. Best of luck.