I have a question about a restraining order? Please answer..

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Bernardino, CA

My boyfriend has court tomorrow for violation of the restraining order. But he didn't really violate it. There was mis- communication..I was going to see his Grandmother and I went to her old house (didnt realize she already moved) where my boyfriend was at, I thought he was at her other house and that she was at the old one. Well anyways, cops showed up on an unrelated issue and ran our names of course and got him for violation of the R.O..so If I go to his hearing tmmrw & explain what happened and ask to change the R.O to a no negative contact...can it get me in any trouble for showing up? can it get my boyfriend in further trouble? please help. I just wanna know if It is a good idea to go to the court date or if it is a bad idea and if its going to cause more problems.

1. Erin Patricia Farley

5

3

Best Answer

Answered . Court is a "restraining order-free" zone. You will not get into any trouble for showing up at the hearing, nor will your boyfriend get in any trouble if you are there. I advocate for honesty with the court.

As a reminder: Do NOT drive with him to court, do NOT hang out near him in the hallway, do NOT talk in the hallway. And please keep in mind that if there is a restraining order, there is usually a reason. Keep yourself safe.

2. Stephen Ross Cohen

2

Answered . Just tell the truth, these things some times happen and it was accidental

3. Henry Lebensbaum

2

1

Answered . Accidental contact is often a defense.