I have a question, I have a credit card company suing and i have lost my business. All i collect is my social security, what ca

Asked over 3 years ago - Douglasville, GA

I have a question, I have a credit card company suing and i have lost my business. All i collect is my social security, what can i do if anything, and what would can they do?

1. Robert Stanley Lane

Answered . Make sure the money is not in your general checking account with other deposits. They can seize it then as the money is comingled.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where the case is pending; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this case is pending.

2. Robert Stanley Lane

3. Steven Alan Fink

Answered . If your only asset is social security, even if they get a judgment against you they cannot levy on your social security money.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

4. Mitchell Paul Goldstein

Answered . Make sure that your social security money is placed in a separate account without any other money. That money is not subject to garnishment. If you have nothing else, the judgment will not be worth much.

[I am a Virginia-licensed attorney. This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

I hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thank you!

5. Theodore Lyons Araujo

Pro

Answered . Social Security is protected from collection but keep good records so you can so the origins of the money in your bank account if the accounts gets frozen when the try and enforce the eventual judgment.