I have a private physician bill for 486.00 I am unable to pay. Can they garnish my meager wages?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lagrange, GA

I live in GA and I make roughly 180.00 a week, below poverty. I have contacted them several times to try and lower my bill based on the fact that my income is so low. I have even faxed them several times with proof. They are dodging me and claim to "lose" or "not receive" my faxes.

1. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

Answered . To be able to garnish you, they'd first have to sue you and get a judgment. While they could do it for that amount, many doctors would not file suit over that amount. If they don't ever sue, then there never will be a garnishment.

If you have other debts you may want to talk to a bankruptcy lawyer such as myself.

2. Daniel Dwight Bowen

Answered . The doctor would have to prove that the charges were reasonable. Consider applying for health insurance under the affordable care act come October.

3. Susan Schmeidler Blum

Pro

Answered . There are several steps that the creditor doctor must take before a garnishment could happen. First, the creditor must sue you. Then there must be a judgment against you. Only when there is a judgment can your bank accounts and paycheck (up to 25%) be garnished. There is a cost associated with hiring an attorney to file the lawsuit and the necessary steps before there is a judgment, and a debt of 486 might have too small of a return to justify the time and expense to sue you.
    Do you have other debts in addition to this medical bill? How much? You can consult with a bankruptcy attorney (many offer free consultations) to determine if it would make sense for you to file bankruptcy.