I have a private physician bill for 486.00 I am unable to pay. Can they garnish my meager wages?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lagrange, GA

I live in GA and I make roughly 180.00 a week, below poverty. I have contacted them several times to try and lower my bill based on the fact that my income is so low. I have even faxed them several times with proof. They are dodging me and claim to "lose" or "not receive" my faxes.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Glen Edward Ashman


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . To be able to garnish you, they'd first have to sue you and get a judgment. While they could do it for that amount, many doctors would not file suit over that amount. If they don't ever sue, then there never will be a garnishment.

    If you have other debts you may want to talk to a bankruptcy lawyer such as myself.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to... more
  2. Daniel Dwight Bowen

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . The doctor would have to prove that the charges were reasonable. Consider applying for health insurance under the affordable care act come October.

    The answer given is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Dwight Bowen is a... more
  3. Susan Schmeidler Blum


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . There are several steps that the creditor doctor must take before a garnishment could happen. First, the creditor must sue you. Then there must be a judgment against you. Only when there is a judgment can your bank accounts and paycheck (up to 25%) be garnished. There is a cost associated with hiring an attorney to file the lawsuit and the necessary steps before there is a judgment, and a debt of 486 might have too small of a return to justify the time and expense to sue you.
    Do you have other debts in addition to this medical bill? How much? You can consult with a bankruptcy attorney (many offer free consultations) to determine if it would make sense for you to file bankruptcy.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,076 answers this week

2,907 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,076 answers this week

2,907 attorneys answering