I have a potential lawsuit against my former employer and I am located in NY. The former employer is headquartered in CA

Asked over 1 year ago - Chazy, NY

and pursuant to the employment contract entered into, all legal matters must be adjudicated in CA. Would the courts in CA apply CA law, or NY law, where I physically worked as an independent contractor?

1. Ronald Joseph Kim

1

Answered . The answer to this question will depend on the employment contract, the specific wording of the clause and the underlying facts of your claim. So the short answer is: "it depends."

Moreover, you may WANT to litigate this under California law rather than New York law, despite the fact that it may be inconvenient. Why would you want this? The law may be more favorable to you in California. Generally speaking, California state law is more favorable to employees than New York for certain legal issues. So what you really need to do is contact an attorney who has experience in both states' employment law and have them review this employment agreement.

If you don't know one in your area go to the following website and search:

www.nela.org

Good luck,

No attorney client relationship has been created by this answer.
  2. Eric Edward Rothstein

Answered . Courts uphold forum selection clauses so if you have a contract that says any suit must be in California a New York court will dismiss your case if the employer makes a motion for that relief.

3. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

Answered . I looked into a similar issue once. If the claim is based on New York Labor law rather than the contract specifically, there may be a chance that an NY court will keep the case here. It may be worth a shot to look into that. No guarantees though. Forum clauses are usually enforced.

4. Wajeb Wassim Assaf

Answered . It is difficult to answer your inquiry without looking at the employment contract that you reference in your question. You should have an experienced employment attorney review the contract for you. I have experience handling these issues and am located in Plattsburgh. Please feel free to contact my office to arrange a consultation. My contact info is located in my profile.

5. David Andrew Mallen

1

Answered . You say you have a claim against your "employer," and then you say worked in New York as an "independent contractor."

The employee vs. independent contractor distinction is a gray area of the law and can be tricky, even for experienced employers.

California law is generally employee-friendly You may be better off applying California law, if it is more favorable to your case.

On the other hand, if New York law were more favorable than California law on your case, you may want to consider filing suit in New York if you have a legal basis for suing in New York, because New York courts may have an overriding interest in protecting New York residents if New York law is more favorable than California law.

You should talk to a lawyer on this one. It will take a little bit of research to answer this question.

David Mallen