I have a petition on going for my mom. I already sent my affidavit of support together with my last ITR. the visa application

Valley Stream, NY |

was paid and sent to them. what we are waiting for is the letter for her interview appt. Last week, I just got fired from my job. My question is can I file for unemployment? I am worried that the petition process will be denied because of my job lost.

Unemployment benefits can be counted as income for the I-864.

If you do not find another job before the interview, then make sure that you send a new I-864 with proof of your unemployment income and other assets you need.

Hopefully, you earn enough, if not, you should consider finding a co-sponsor now.

Law Office of Marc Taylor, Esq. PC,, 888-645-6272, , 224 W. 4th Street, Suite 200, New York, NY 10014 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

This could be a problem .. .if the US Consul asks for more information than that which you sent to the NVC with your I-864.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Unemployment insurance payments are income, and may be used to meet the I-864 requirements. To the extent you cannot adequately support the I-864, you may need a co-sponsor.

Please note that this posting does not constitute legal advice or create any attorney-client relationship with the inquirer. Avvo is a useful forum to obtain general information on legal issues, but is not a substitute for direct, confidential consultation with an attorney in any legal matter.

You may need a cosponsor if your income is not sufficient at the time of interview.

Recommended articles about Immigration