I have a petition on going for my mom. I already sent my affidavit of support together with my last ITR. the visa application

Asked 12 months ago - Valley Stream, NY

was paid and sent to them. what we are waiting for is the letter for her interview appt. Last week, I just got fired from my job. My question is can I file for unemployment? I am worried that the petition process will be denied because of my job lost.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Marc Damien Sean Taylor

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Unemployment benefits can be counted as income for the I-864.

    If you do not find another job before the interview, then make sure that you send a new I-864 with proof of your unemployment income and other assets you need.

    Hopefully, you earn enough, if not, you should consider finding a co-sponsor now.

    Law Office of Marc Taylor, Esq. PC, www.usavisanow.com, 888-645-6272, info@usavisanow.com , 224 W. 4th Street,... more
  2. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Unemployment insurance payments are income, and may be used to meet the I-864 requirements. To the extent you cannot adequately support the I-864, you may need a co-sponsor.

    Please note that this posting does not constitute legal advice or create any attorney-client relationship with the... more
  3. Altin Nanaj


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You may need a cosponsor if your income is not sufficient at the time of interview.

  4. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . This could be a problem .. .if the US Consul asks for more information than that which you sent to the NVC with your I-864.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Sponsoring an immigrant to the United States

Petitioning for, or sponsoring, an immigrant allows you to help a relative immigrate to the United States, if certain conditions are met.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,316 answers this week

2,920 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,316 answers this week

2,920 attorneys answering