I have a pending Vawa 1-360 and am claiming for unemployment . What effect can that have on my pending case since I can't work ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Bridgeport, CT

I worked for 9 years at a company where I was laid off, I have a social which I used to get employed and had it through my J1 visa. Now I have a pending Vawa case was told that I could file for unemployment. But they sent me a list of documents which were needed and the only document I had was a vawa form (special immigrant form I-360. I am wondering what consequences this will bring for they the unemployment told me to continue filing until I get the green card and they will see if the money will be payable. Please I need to know if this is the right way to handle the situation. Thank You.

1. Tracie Lynn Klinke

Pro

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . Filing for unemployment will not impact your VAWA I-360 case. When you file your claim, though, make sure that you answer all of the questions truthfully - do not make any claim to US citizenship, as that can impact your entire immigration case.

This general advice does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

1

Answered . No effect

3. Parva Fattahi

6

1

Answered . Should not affect your pending case. However, I wanted you to know that if your spouse is a USC (or ex-spouse was a USC at the time of your marriage), you are eligible to apply for work permit under your pending I-360 (you should submit form I-765 to claim it). This rule doesn't hold for LPR spouse or ex-spouse.

4. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

3

Answered . The unemployment will not have an effect on the VAWA case. make sure not to claim that you are a US citizen as that will have lifelong consequences for you.